   RE: [xml-dev] [OT] Tim Bray on Slashdot

> the real point? like tim i get really suspicious of anyone offering one
> size fits all software tools and platforms.

But Tim appears to be suggesting the opposite, that the browser does fit
all, apart from content creation. But then at the same time he also counts
NetNewsWire (a heavyweight RSS reader) as a Web browser - I personally would
too, but reading RSS feeds demands a richer interface than HTML. "Browsers
are more usable because they’re less flexible."  So is it one 'browser' per
application then? Is it not an task-specific desktop app any more simply
because it uses XML + HTTP?

Ok, I think he's probably right in what I read as being his main point -
that sharecropping sucks. But all the talk of browsers I'm afraid just seems
a muddle of contradictions.

> could rant longer but ....

ditto ...

Cheers,