   Re: [xml-dev] Non-deterministic content models

From: "John Cowan" <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
> Bob Foster scripsit:
> > Good point. Then you could probably omit that section on rewriting
patterns
> > so they are deterministic (or is it unambiguous?). RELAX NG users seldom
> > need to do that. ;-}
>
> Actually, they do if they need to produce WXS as an output of the process,
> which is not rare.

True, tho I suspect that the basic algorithm many use is "run it through
trang." ;-}

> > That's interesting. I assume you're talking about MSV when used as a
SAX2
> > filter. What does MSV do when it has multiple valid types, pick one?
>
> MSV is a pure validator, so it doesn't care why a document is valid,
> just so it's valid.

Yes, but looking at the code I noticed MSV creates a list of types collected
in the course of validating an attribute. I thought perhaps it had the
ability to pass this information on to an application. Eric kind of led me
there with his comment

>>> ...MSV...can derive type
>>> information out of unambiguous schemas whether deterministic or not
>>> (more precisely, it will provide type information even if the schema is
>>> ambiguous but I wouldn't always advise to rely on it).

But maybe not. Eric, is this what you meant?

Bob