   RE: [xml-dev] filesystems

Consider that notion in terms of the inversion of
functionality to scale in sign systems.

1.  The web is a coarse operating system which
shares a very simple set of verbs (REST), a
single addressing syntax (URI) and a pervasive
but not ubiquitous metalanguage (XML).

2.  Local systems (say desktops) can be much
richer with more verbs, more address syntaxes,
and a multitude of application languages.
The can be aggregated into larger units, say
LANs, but not to the scale of the WAN.  We can
drop lower into applications themselves which
can contain multiple implementation languages,
but which become inefficient doing that, so
the scaling isn't isomorphic until they resolve
into say a runtime code (see C#).

The sign system/inverse functionality
determines the power of the operating system
and also the scale at which it operates.

The same is so of any system that is based
on communications to achieve interoperation.
This is so of natural ecologies as well.
At most, humans at the largest scale share
gestures (smiles are smiles in any human
culture even if intents and results vary
by context: the referent problem).  In smaller
scales, they have rich and domain specific
languages.

I've termed those information ecologies to
enable a metaphor that includes an energy
budget and a lifecycle.  Coarse operating
system is another way to look at that in
the specific context of computer networks.
You are saying that the web architecture
is an operating system at a coarse scale.
One needs more than XML but XML fills out
the data and application language slots
given implementation languages.

len