   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] Sarissa XML-JavaScript library version 0.9b3released

Klotz, Leigh wrote:

> As I understand it, the LGPL would allow a web page author or system author
> to use sarissa provided
> the web page or system allowed the user to substitute a different version of
> sarissa.  This might
> be a little easier on the system side, a little harder on the "ASP" side.

I'm not sure I follow you here.

> It's a lot less clear to me what the GPL means in this context, though.  If
> I write a back-end server
> system and use sarissa in a web page delivered to the browser, at what point
> do I draw the line
> for GPL applying to the server system?

To tell you the truth, I don't really know as I'm not a lawyer. I don't
expect the server side stuff to be effected but I may be wrong. Read the
license. Some points that may interest you are:

In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
the scope of this License.

   10. If you wish to incorporate parts of the Program into other free
programs whose distribution conditions are different, write to the
author to ask for permission.

If any open source project team sees licensing problems with Sarissa, I
will hapilly provide permission to them to do what they wish with the
code. It's just a script after all, nothing ultra cool or something.

Hope this helps.

> Thanks,
> Leigh.

Manos Batsis