From: Emmanuil Batsis (Manos) [mailto:mbatsis@netsmart.gr]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 1:18 AM
To: Klotz, Leigh
Cc: 'XML Dev'
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] Sarissa XML-JavaScript library version 0.9b3
released

Klotz, Leigh wrote:

> As I understand it, the LGPL would allow a web page author or system
author
> to use sarissa provided
> the web page or system allowed the user to substitute a different version
of
> sarissa.  This might
> be a little easier on the system side, a little harder on the "ASP" side.

I'm not sure I follow you here.

> It's a lot less clear to me what the GPL means in this context, though.
If
> I write a back-end server
> system and use sarissa in a web page delivered to the browser, at what
point
> do I draw the line
> for GPL applying to the server system?

To tell you the truth, I don't really know as I'm not a lawyer. I don't
expect the server side stuff to be effected but I may be wrong. Read the
license. Some points that may interest you are:

[[[
In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
the scope of this License.
]]]

and

[[[
   10. If you wish to incorporate parts of the Program into other free
programs whose distribution conditions are different, write to the
author to ask for permission.
]]]

If any open source project team sees licensing problems with Sarissa, I
will hapilly provide permission to them to do what they wish with the
code. It's just a script after all, nothing ultra cool or something.

Hope this helps.

Manos

--
Manos Batsis