   Re: [xml-dev] What are units-of-measure? e.g., what's a "kilometer"?

Roger L. Costello scripsit:

> 2. Is kilometer a function? e.g., kilometer(Yangtze) --> 6300
>    In general: kilometer(physical object) --> number
>    "The kilometer function maps a physical object to a number."

I think this view is the most nearly correct, but it needs amplification:
it doesn't capture that it's the *length* (rather than, say, the
average depth) of the Yangzi that is 6300 km.  So we can rewrite it
in terms of relations as follows:

Yangzi length X
X kilometer 6300

where "kilometer" is a relation that maps a length (an abstract property
of a physical object) into a pure number.

--
Where the wombat has walked,            John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
it will inevitably walk again.          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan