   Re: [xml-dev] What are units-of-measure? e.g., what's a "kilometer"?

  • To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] What are units-of-measure? e.g., what's a "kilometer"?
  • From: James Landrum <james.landrum@ndsu.nodak.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:31:48 -0500
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

 All units of measure describe DIMENSIONS. If a thing exists it has
dimensions. Dimensions are attributes of things. Attributes are
variously given labels or names (appelations), and these are variously
also called properties, elements, and so forth.  There are classes and
types of dimensions, categorized according to whatever system applies.
A kilometer is a label for a unit of measure that describes a standard
(linear) distance (a dimension); in this case the standard is the metric
system.  A kilometer itself is not physical stuff, it is a conceptual
thing. The rod (or other device or object) used to measure the kilometer
is physical stuff.