   Defining non-WXS datatypes

A little while ago, Rick Jelliffe issued the challenge:
> Personally, I think it is high time for people who don't like the
> W3C datatypes to band together to make a concrete alternative.

I thought I'd spend a little time on this, so I've put together a
"datatype library language". The idea is that applications such as
RELAX NG validators or XPath 2.0 processors could read in a document
in this language and use it to construct a datatype library or set of
in-scope type definitions.

Note that this isn't a proposed datatype library -- it's not a
replacement for the XML Schema datatypes -- rather, it's a language
that enables users to create declarative definitions of the datatype
libraries that they need.

A description of the language itself and a proof-of-concept
implementation are available from:

  http://www.jenitennison.com/datatypes

I think it's at a stage where it's complete enough to be worth
discussing but not so complete that it's not worth discussing. In
other words, I invite comments!

Cheers,

Jeni

---