   Re: [xml-dev] Xquery and XSLT?

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 08:57:55AM -0400, Didier PH Martin wrote:
[...]
> It is unfortunate that we cannot do XQuery calls from XSLT stylesheets, this
> would be tremendously useful. Being able to do SOAP call would be too. Being
> able to do simple POST requests would also be very useful.

These things could in principle be added by the author of Saxon, or
of any other XSLT processor... I suspect there would be strong
reistance to requiring that every XSLT implementation also implemented
all of XML Query :-)

The ability to do POST http transactions can be a security problem --
a program that can write more or less arbitrary text to any host on
any port can be used to send email, for example.  So this is not
something I'd necessarily want in a browser-side XSLT implementation.

I do agree that in a controlled environment they're all useful and
interesting features, though.

I suspect you can also do these already if you use Saxon's Java API,
by the way.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C XML Activity Lead, liam@w3.org, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/