   RE: [xml-dev] the web client interface was RE: [xml-dev] Two linkquestio

len

yes the whole IP thing is complex. what i think happens is we get a
conflict of expectation.

like all of us i've got valuable ip - it must be i make a good living
from it.

where the difficulty comes is understanding what are core things,
controlled by standards, left to be implemented by open and close source
companies/individuals, and from which the whole computing community can
draw on.

msphobia as you call it comes from ms deciding they want to control
something, often something that was open source or subject to
international standards.

so eg, what happens if ms (or sun, or ibm if we want to be fair),
decides that they like xml, but really want it to be a bit different to
the standards because it suits one of their goals. they build the new
functionality into their products and market them to their developers
who start using the non standard components because they're really good
(or the developers don't know they're non standard) and now all the
standards complying software doesn't work anymore, so now you have to
use proprietary products.

and all the good work of people like yourself is now put aside as one or
two giant companies start dictating the new standards.

to be a phobia it needs to be largely unexplainable, those of us who
have been bitten several times really have a fear rather than a phobia.

so i support ip, open source, proprietary products, and most importantly
standards. but in the end the big companies and the markets will
determine which, if any, of these things have value.

rick

ps buying based on who you can sue is basically admitting failure before
you've even tried success. that might explain a lot of large system
failures