   Re: [xml-dev] RE: Basic Information on XML

At 2003-07-23 13:12 +0100, Louise Lister wrote:
>I am totally new to all of this and I am a commercial product manager as
>opposed to a 'techie'.

You've hit a decidedly techie list and might be better served for more
general questions at a list such as:

   http://listserv.heanet.ie/xml-l.html

>We are looking at XML as an option for delivering invoice information
>currently

What XML brings to that scenario is the platform, operating system and
application independence in the data format used to capture invoice (or
*any* other) information.  Your environment can generate the invoice
information using any software you wish, you can deliver the information
structured using XML syntax, and your customers can access your information
using any software they wish.

   http://xml.coverpages.org/xml.html

   http://xml.coverpages.org/xmlApplications.html
   http://xml.coverpages.org/gen-apps.html
   http://xml.coverpages.org/gov-apps.html
   http://xml.coverpages.org/acadapps.html

>* architectural requirements e.g over and above bill formatting to print
>bureau etc

Printing XML is a specialized area in which I am having a lot of fun
participating and teaching.  Just as there are XML structures for invoicing
that are independent of platform, application, etc., there happens to be
XML structures for printing that are independent of platform, application, etc.

The XML vocabulary to express one's intent for printing is named
XSL-FO.  You can find introductory material on our web site noted below by
downloading a free 240-page excerpt of an electronic book that we sell on
this topic.  A sister specification, XSLT, can be used to transform your
XML information into the XSL-FO structure suitable for printing.

While not knowing your existing print bureau situation, XSL-FO deployments
have modest architectural requirements and would, I believe, compare very
well in terms of ramp-up and deployment.  A note of caution, though, XSL-FO
is in its first iteration and addresses most people's requirements but an
analysis of your needs and some prototyping would ensure the currently
available implementations of XSL-FO can meet any exotic formatting
requirements you may currently be using.

>* benefits over and above EDIFACT  ( also differences)

EDIFACT standards express electronic commerce information in a cryptic
human-illegible message format and utilize expensive private value-added
networks to transport these messages between parties.

The combination of ebXML and UBL standards express electronic commerce
information in an exposed human-legible message format and utilize open
Internet-based methods to transport these messages between parties:

    http://ebXML.org
    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/

I currently chair the Forms Presentation Subcommittee (FPSC) in UBL,
chartered with writing the formatting specifications for message
visualization: taking an instance of XML going from computer to computer
and exposing the content in a human-friendly presentation:

    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/fpsc

XML has been a tremendous benefit to many users and creators of
information, and there are many in our community who would be willing to
help you better understand your needs and your objectives in light of the
benefits XML brings to the table.  Please don't let the esoteric
discussions in this forum give you an incorrect impression of complexity or
difficulty when working with these technologies ... it really is very
simple.  This forum typically discusses not-so-simple perspectives.

I hope this is considered useful.

......................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
North America public:  XSL-FO Aug 4,2003; XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc