   Re: [xml-dev] Programming XML with PHP

the parser in phpclasses is pretty good - writing a parser is not
necessarily very easy. the biggest difficulty is understanding how to
use the parsers. i'd suggest you check that out first.

someone else on the list might know better, because i haven't looked at
a bnf for xml, but i suspect it's not lr1 which means the parser is
difficult to write.

i've attached an example php script to generate menus with rollovers and
an example menu

before anyone asks - no i don't have a dtd (yet) for the menu format

rick

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 00:02, matthiasjost@gmx.ch wrote:
> Thx, for your answers.
> This motivates me to work with php and xml further.
>
> BTW:
> I will try to write a simple parser with php.
> And some classes to create a online xml editor.
> Based on textarea fields and given xml structures.
> This will simplify the work and save the time, to type every time the same
> tags.
> if i have something usefull, i will post my results here!
>
> regards
>
> matthias
>
> --- Weitergeleitete Nachricht / Forwarded Message ---
> Date: 24 Jul 2003 14:41:10 +0200
> From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
> To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
> Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Programming XML with PHP
>
> > On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 14:22, matthiasjost@gmx.ch wrote:
> > > Hi XML-dev folks
> > >
> > > I started to learning php some months ago. I red many articles about XML
> > and
> > > im very interested
> > > in the technology. Many Parsers and Transformers are realised in Java.
> > > Is PHP not suitable to write XML-Processors?
> > > Or why are most of the XML-Processors programmed in Java?
> > > Just because php is a scripting language?
> >
> > Yes, probably.
> >
> > That's not specific to PHP and Perl, Python or Ruby are pretty much in
> > the same kind of situation: you can use all these languages to write a
> > XML parser or a XSLT processor but the execution is much faster if you
> > use one which is written in C (or C++) and "binded" to your scripting
> > language.
> >
> > This would be true for Java too but the difference in speed is smaller
> > and in the Java universe, people are more attached a form of portability
> > achieved by "100% pure java" applications than in other the universe of
> > scripting languages.
> >
> > As an application developer this shouldn't make that much difference to
> > you. These C binding are available on almost any platform. What's
> > important is that you have the XML functions you need (which should be
> > the case for PHP), how they are implemented is secondary IMO.
> >
> > Eric
> > --
> > Tired to type XML tags?
> >                                                        http://wikiml.org

menu_class.php

<menu>
	<menu_row label="SHOP" direction="horizontal">
		<item>
			<label>LIST</label>
			<execute>parent.shop_main.location.href='/forum/cgi-bin/ubcgi?REPORT_NAME=shoplist'</execute>
			</item>

		<item>
			<label>MANAGEMENT</label>
			<execute>parent.shop_main.location.href='/forum/shop_mgmt_frame.html'</execute>
			</item>

		<item>
			<label>COMMUNICATION</label>
			<execute>parent.shop_main.location.href='/forum/shop_comm_frame.html'</execute>
			</item>

		<item>
			<label>TARGETS</label>
			<execute>parent.shop_main.location.href='/forum/shop_targ_frame.html'</execute>
			</item>

		<item>
			<label>SETUP</label>
			<execute>parent.shop_main.location.href='/forum/shop_mast_frame.html'</execute>
			</item>
		</menu_row>
	</menu>