   RE: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of the devil" ?

You need to chat with Don Brutzman who heads up the
XMSF and X3D efforts.  It can be the case that there are
applications for which a binary is useful.  Graphics people
I talk to consider it a trivial task but there are issues
of geometric compression that require one to pick an
algorithm which can or might not be proprietary, so it
is considered a good thing to bolt those in so everyone
can play.  OTOOH, there is plenty of public domain stuff.

IOW, not spawn of the devil, but without some care, one
can trip on the sulphur.

The big question, IMO, is whether or not a single binary spec
does enough for any XML application to make it worth
having.  It could be the case that advantages accrue
the more application-specific it is and that interoperability
concerns are in the domains of specific application languages.
I understand the concern that a binary is NOT XML, but
lossless translatibility is often the best one gets.

len

From: Mike Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]

I'm asking for flames on Permathread 2, "Binary
XML is evil / No, it's needed for industrial-strength XML". :-)