   Re: [xml-dev] Re: An approach to describing the relationships betweenuni

From: "Jeff Greif" <jgreif@alumni.princeton.edu>
> So that symbolic distances can be used:
>    kilometer(length-of-Amazon-river-in-meters)
>        --> length-of-Amazon-river-in-meters/1000
> ?

Could be. I'm not sure that all information about a type can or should be
crammed into a single identifier. (Or that astronauts prefer named types,
but that's another story. ;-)

I prefer the point of view that types have multiple attributes (along the
lines of what XML Schema datatypes calls facets) and that one of these is
unit-of-measure. But as long as it's clear that the domain of the function
as posed is a distance with an implicit unit of measure (which may be null,
i.e., a pure number) it makes sense.

Bob Foster