   Re: [xml-dev] more politics

Tim Bray wrote:

> I had held the hope that one of the things the Semantic Web would be
> good for would be to enable me to make useful machine-readable
> statements along the lines of "this resource is just a JPEG of my cute
> cat" and "this resource serves as a placeholder for the W3C in my KR
> system".  But Pat Hayes et al tell me I'm all wrong.  Oh well.

I am not sure about that. I've had numerous discussions with Pat. My reading
of his position is that 1) and 2) are _different_, but he hasn't said that
1) is correct and 2) is wrong. His issue seems to be that 1) and 2) are
being improperly conflated, and that software reasoning agents (inference
engines) need to know which is which. He is simply asking for language
clarification.

Jonathan