   RE: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of the devil" ?

There is a new standard initiative that has been started recently by a
joint committee of ISO/IEC and ITU-T.  This regards the use of ASN.1 in
support of web services and in support of the XML infoset.

The web services part of this standard will specify a set of ASN.1 type
definitions (an ASN.1 schema) semantically equivalent to a SOAP 1.2
envelope, allowing fast binary communications as an alternative to XML
1.0-based exchanges.

The infoset part of this standard will specify an ASN.1 schema for the
XML infoset, which can represent any infoset (as specified in the XML
Information Set Recommendation) as an ASN.1 message that can be encoded
in a standardized binary form.

The new standards will build on the recent standardization activity of
the committee, that is producing standards such as a new set of XML
encoding rules for ASN.1 (EXTENDED-XER, ITU-T X.693 Amd.1) and a mapping
from XML Schema to ASN.1 (ITU-T X.694).

Alessandro Triglia
OSS Nokalva