   RE: [xml-dev] Xpath Question

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 21:10, Michael Rys wrote:
> Basically: yes.
>
> However, if you set your data model generator to preserving all boundary
> whitespace text nodes per default, and all data model generators handle
> all the information items in the same way as well (again, no conformance
> requirement there for XPath 1.0, but potentially one given in the
> context of the embedding standard such as XSLT 1.0), then you will get a
> consistent model.

I find this argument rather specious.

True enough, the XPath specification doesn't say how a parser should
behave with whitespaces, but it doesn't say either how a parser should
behave with other text nodes, or elements or attributes.

If you feed your XPath processor with a SAX filter removing all the
elements named "foo" you'll still have a conformant XPath implementation
but you can't expect to be interoperable with other applications.

How different is this from removing whitespaces?

Coming back to:

<pre>
  <b>bold</b>
  <i>italic</i>
</pre>

"count(/pre/child::node())" can give 3 if I have a parser which keeps
whitespaces but removes <b/> elements!

Eric
--
Read me on XMLhack.