   Re: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of the devil" ?

Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> robin.berjon@expway.fr (Robin Berjon) writes:
>>In fact, if HTTP 1.1 content codings took parametres, we'd have the
>>answer already. Damn :)
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for - and Len's reply makes me
> even less certain - but Content-Type header fields definitely take
> parameters:

Content-Type, yes, Content-Encoding/Accept-Encoding (aka content codings), no:

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2068/rfc2068

Section 3.5

           content-coding   = token

    All content-coding values are case-insensitive. HTTP/1.1 uses
    content-coding values in the Accept-Encoding (section 14.3) and
    Content-Encoding (section 14.12) header fields. Although the value
    describes the content-coding, what is more important is that it
    indicates what decoding mechanism will be required to remove the
    encoding.

Section 14.3

    The Accept-Encoding request-header field is similar to Accept, but
    restricts the content-coding values (section 14.12) which are
    acceptable in the response.

           Accept-Encoding  = "Accept-Encoding" ":"
                                     #( content-coding )

    An example of its use is

           Accept-Encoding: compress, gzip

Section 14.12

    The Content-Encoding entity-header field is used as a modifier to the
    media-type. When present, its value indicates what additional content
    codings have been applied to the entity-body, and thus what decoding
    mechanisms MUST be applied in order to obtain the media-type
    referenced by the Content-Type header field. Content-Encoding is
    primarily used to allow a document to be compressed without losing
    the identity of its underlying media type.

           Content-Encoding  = "Content-Encoding" ":" 1#content-coding

    Content codings are defined in section 3.5. An example of its use is

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/