   Re: XHTML 2.0 (was DTDs: Teilite vs. Sdocbook)

At 12:56 PM 7/30/2003, Joe Gregorio wrote:
>Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>I really want support for basic document hierarchies, which XHTML is not
>>really designed for. I could useful structure if I modified my local
>>XHTML DTD so that H1-H6 could only be used together with DIV elements
>>like this:
>>       <h1>Hierarchy is good.</h1>
>>              <h2>Nested hierarchy is great</h2>
>
>It is too bad that the XHTML 2.0 WG has strayed[1], as this is supported
>in XHTML 2.0:
>
>   <section>
>       <h>Hierarchy is good.</h>
>       <section>
>              <h>Nested hierarchy is great</h>
>       </section>
>   </section>

That would be great. I will welcome it when it comes out.

For now, I investigated adding this to the XHTML DTD, and there are two
basic problems:

1. XHTML has too much stuff that I don't want. For instance, I don't want
my header element to allow base, link, meta, object, script, style.  (I
would also like to have some additional elements in a header that are not
defined in XHTML for author name and address, abstract, etc.)

2. The general strategy for integrating text elements in XHTML is very
permissive, allowing h1-h6 all in the same context, and if I try to
introduce s1-s6 for sections at levels 1-6, I have to do significant
restructuring of the DTD to make them nest properly.

I could just add section and h, as above, but then my browser doesn't know
how to display it unless I use a stylesheet. And if I have a stylesheet, I
can use sdocbook.dtd or teilite.dtd.

Someone suggested in private email that tei is "not XSLT-friendly". I can't
think of why this would be the case. On the other hand, the number of tools
designed for docbook really does seem to be much bigger.

Jonathan