   Re: [xml-dev] Extract A Subset of a W3C XML Schema?

! this must be a trick question

"Thomas B. Passin" wrote:

> [Jeff Greif]
>
> > Here's a crude suggestion.
> >
> > You put the various schemas into editor windows.  You make new schemas in
> > other editor windows, one corresponding to each namespace in question,
> which
> > are empty.  ...[snipped]
>
> Yes, this method is what I am trying to avoid if possible.  One thought that
> I had was to create an instance document fitting your desired subset,

ok, this defines the "root" i was asking about before...

>   then
> have your schema tool create a schema from that.  Trouble is, you have to
> create the instance document (which might be a lot easier than messing with
> the schema, though), and usually the generated schema's structure is not
> much like what you want to end up with.

? what is the difference?

what's stopping from from taking the xml-sdk of choice, locating the place
where it's serializer determines the document definition's root, and replacing
that with the types collected from walking the document instance? that way you
get the types as defined - not as used.