   Re: [xml-dev] URN vs URL

Ah, you're down in 'bama.

<Quote>
Did you explain the dereferencing problems of using http
style URNs in namespace names?
</Quote>

I actually am not working on this draft - my previous employer (LMI) is
(I would have worked on it had I still be there). But the authors are on
this list, and so you might consider your voice heard. But as a
double-ensurance, I will make sure that when I review the next version
that this type of verbiage is included - and if not, I will recommend
that it be included.

[not trying to resurrect a perma-thread here]
As a quick point related to this: I have used URL-based namespace
identifiers in all of the E-Grants (grants.gov) schemas that I have
written. I am (pleasantly) surprised that at no point was there any
expression of confusion (from any agency involved) regarding the issue
at hand here - perhaps in some ways it's also a matter of educating
folks.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> No, I'm a victim.  Alabama is voting on
> a 1.2 billion tax increase next month to
> fix the problem of buying votes with
> reimbursements.  No free lunch.  We can't
> afford a gubernatorial recall. :-)
>
> I haven't read your draft.  Did you explain
> the dereferencing problems of using http
> style URNs in namespace names?  They need
> to understand the pros and cons of both
> approaches.  Or at least, if they use the
> URN with a protocol morph that a browser
> will interpret as a hypertext control, they
> should put a representation at that
> location with something meaningful even if it
> simply says "Don't look here."
>
> As I said to Norman, it's an issue of clarity.
>
> len
>
> From: Chiusano Joseph [mailto:chiusano_joseph@bah.com]
>
> <Quote>
> It is uplifting to see ideas pushed into policy that guarantee a full
> employment economy.
> </Quote>
>
> You must be a member of Bush's Tax Cut Task Force. ;)
>
> "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:
> >
> > I don't feel offended.  It is uplifting to
> > see ideas pushed into policy that guarantee a full
> > employment economy.  Click throughs are profitable.
> >
> > len
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano