   RE: [xml-dev] reaching humans (was Re: [xml-dev] Extract A Subset of a

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] reaching humans (was Re: [xml-dev] Extract A Subset of a W3C XML Schema?)
  • From: "Allen Razdow" <arazdow@mathsoft.com>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:01:22 -0400

I'm moved to point out that like many useful things, XML is a compromise
of many principles.  UNIX declared that data should be ASCII ruled by
LR(1) grammars, and processed by piped C programs built with
Yacc+Lex...and that was very useful.  In contrast, XML represents data
as annotated trees in a standard syntax ruled by Schemas, and processed
by services made from JAVA/XSL/SAX/DOM/SCRIPT....and that's very useful
too, maybe more useable and more useful than UNIX/PWB ever was.  I
believe that's the main thing.

-allen