   Re: [xml-dev] A parentless element that is not the document node - how?

> When I worked at Microstar Software [creator of Near & Far Designer] we used
> to call these things "scat".
>
> When we opened a DTD in N&FD we would find these orphans visually "off the
> tree" as it were [littered around the tree trunk like animal scat]....
> something not necessarily obvious merely looking as the ASCII text file.
> These typically arose  as a "mistake" originating in the editing of the DTD
> during creation, rather than something there by design. I don't remember
> finding any particular use for them... so would be interested in hearing if
> there is a valid use.

That is something different from an Xpath2 parentless element.
That is an element declared in a DTD but not declared in the content
model of any other element. there is a use for them, the top level
element of the document usually has that property.

But they are not parentless according to Xpath, any top level element
has parent /.

parentless element nodes are data model items that are free standing and
not appearing in any document. They appear in the Xpath2 data model,
just as values like the integer 1 appear. to put an integer 1 in an XML
document you have to have an element or attribute to contain it, but the
Xpath model allows these values to be manipulated outside of any element.
Xpath2 allows element nodes to be generated in the same way.

David

http://www.star.net.uk