   RE: [xml-dev] String interning (Was: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of t

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] String interning (Was: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of the devil" ?)
  • From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@stjude.org>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:54:22 -0500

On Thursday, July 31, 2003 8:58 PM Tyler Close <tyler@waterken.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday 31 July 2003 19:36, Mike Champion wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:46:32 -0400, Tyler Close
> <tyler@waterken.com>
> > wrote:
> > > For an example of a binary format that supports efficient string
> > > interning, without a penalty to generality, see:
> > >
> > > http://www.waterken.com/dev/Doc/code/
> >
> > Very interesting point/idea.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > AFAIK much of the overhead of XML text
> > parsing that the binary infoset advocates complain about is in the
> > Unicode encoding/decoding and raw string processing (e.g,
> looking at
> > every character to see where an element ends rather than having a
> > stored length).
>
> The Waterken(TM) Doc code format uses a chunked
> representation for encoding a string.  This provides the
> speed benefits of a length prefix without creating an
> unlimited buffering requirement.
>
> >  Likewise, a number of alternative infoset serializations use the
> > "stream of SAX events" metaphor, that sounds a bit like what that
> > document describes.
>
> Same basic idea.
>
> > But  that doesn't sound like "string interning" to me (and
> "interning"
> > is not mentioned in that document).
>
> Notice that all the meta data (ie: the string identifiers)
> are stored in a set of string registers. Subsequent uses of a
> string specify the index of the string to use. This results
> in each string identifier being instantiated just once. The
> singleton instance is the interned instance.
>
> > I thought "interning" was more of a
> > technique for keeping compiled code small by referencing redundant
> > strings via their hash values.
>
> It's more to do with fast lookup than memory savings. The
> hash only gets computed once and equality checks are just
> pointer comparisons. Same thinking is at work in the Doc code format.

<snip/>

One of my vague long term projects is to look at ways of building and
utilizing a sort of PSVI database.  (Binary XML that never leaves the
building...)  Essentially we have a large project that reuses (and
reuses) various XML fragments from many different sources in many
different combinations many times (controlled by some small number of
parameters).  Think of this as a cache of parsed XML that can
subsequently be consumed by XSLT transforms.  On occasion some portions
of this cache will be invalidated and replaced.

So the question becomes; do you think any of this work could form a
basis for such a database?  Would it be efficient to parse XML to this
format, then feed (multiple chained) XSLT transforms from this format?

I'd spend some time examining the code, but we're in the middle of a
release and more than swamped at the moment... (For the Cocoon-dev
lurkers on this list, yes, this is related to the discussion on long
term caching models.)