   RE: [xml-dev] A parentless element that is not the document node - how?

I may have some somewhere because I had the product too.
I may still have the demo install disks.

It was fabulous particularly for its time.  I used those
to document several DTDs for Navy documents.

One good thing was that it did enable orphans and these can
be a product of design in progress. One often designs
bottom up so the flexibility it enabled for entering
SGML types was great. You would have to been there
to understand just how simple-minded or expensive
most SGML design tools were.  N&F was a real leap.

It was quick, it was windows capable (remember,
of its time), it gave clear error messages, it enabled
one to get snapshots of trees for documentation purposes,
all round, it was useful and non-gnarly.  It was well
documented and the service organization was there to
help out with friendly folks.  The designers were deeply
involved in the Canadian CALS work and improved on the
CALS designs instead of accepting them uncritically.
In short, good reliable product from solid folks.  It
won an award from the CALS group for innovation.

Even if it isn't kosher, there are lots of languages that
treat a root element as syntax fluff.

len

From: Bob Foster [mailto:bob@objfac.com]

From: "Betty Harvey" <harvey@eccnet.com>
> I really wish that tools like XML Spy and
> Extensibility would provide the same functionality as Near and Far for XML
> Schema's.  Although I don't create DTDs in a graphical tool - Near and Far
> is the greatest QA and presentation tool for a DTD.

Near and Far seems to have been a casualty of the Microstar acquisition.
What was great about it? Does even a screen shot survive?