   Re: [xml-dev] Near and Far (Was RE: [xml-dev] A parentless elemen t that

I'm reminded of a commercial renovation project, http://www.thealtamont.com/, in which each of the nine stories has been gutted. The partition walls were made from clay tube tiles. Tube tiles are like concrete blocks - extremely strong with superior fire resistance. But no one works with tile partition walls anymore and trying to work around them would take more money than the market would bear. Removing them means that several tons of dead weight are eliminated from the load on each floor. They are now called "clean fill".

Even when the market thinks some old building has value, it is often more economical to raze it down to the superstructure, or completely down to the ground upon which it stands. If a bunch of vagrants happen to inhabit the building prior to renovation it may be said to hold some value to them, but that isn't economically relevant to the owners. It doesn't seem to be borne of pride or presumption, but perhaps there is sometimes a lack of vision.

Regards,

Mitch