   re: [xml-dev] Random thoughts on reflection

Eric van der Vlist writes:

 > If we take a document such as:
 >
 > <foo bar="valbar">
 >  <baz>valbaz</baz>
 > </foo>
 >
 > The syntax proposed for the XML infoset exposed as a reflexion of the
 > document is something such as:
 >
 > <element namespaceName="" localName="foo">
 >  <attributes>
 >   <attribute namespaceName="" localName="bar" normalizedValue="valbar"/>
 >  </attributes>
 >  <children>
 >   <element namespaceName="" localName="baz">
 >    <attributes/>
 >     <children>
 >      <textNode value="valbaz"/>
 >     </children>
 >   </element>
 >  </children>
 > </element>

We must be careful not to let the Ghost of Reification come to haunt
XML the way that it haunted RDF.  If we start putting stuff this
esoteric into specs, we scare away people who want to use XML to do
things, however interesting the esoteric stuff may seem to us
tag-heads.

All the best,

David

--