   Re: [xml-dev] Encoding URI's for xml validation

[John Cowan]

> Thomas B. Passin scripsit:
>
> > In the case of a file: URI, the colon has a special meaning when it
> > separates the scheme form the rest of the URI, but the rest of the URI
does
> > not need the colon to be reserved, so it does not need to be escaped.
>
> Not the issue here.  The question is, are "%3A" and ":" interchangeable?
> RFC 2396 says only the characters in the "unreserved" set are
interchangeable
> with their %xx counterparts.

I know my response was not completely to the question in the original post -
I was branching off a bit to the status of ":".  But then, any substabtive
statement about file: URIs tends to get clouded soon after it is uttered.
As to what the rfc says, it also contains this charming bit of language -

" In general, a character is reserved if the semantics of the URI changes if
the character is replaced with its escaped US-ASCII encoding."

But, as the text says elsewhere,

" only the mechanism responsible for generating or interpreting that
component can determine whether or not escaping a character will change its
semantics."

so this bit does not give much practical guidance with respect to the
notorious file: scheme.

BTW, I could not find where the rfc actually says what you mentioned.  What
section is that, John?

Cheers,

Tom P