   RE: [xml-dev] Symbol Grounding and Running Code: Is XML Really Extensib

Fine here's the concrete scenario that led to this discussion. Certain
folks have suggested that the new XML syndication format being worked on
by Sam Ruby and others (aka Pie/Echo/Atom/Whatever) should allow
extension elements from other namespaces which is what both RSS 1.0 and
RSS 2.0 currently allow.

The question then came up as to how one could describe the semantics of
these extension elements and some (I think Danny Ayers specifically)
claimed that RDF and DAML could solve this problem.

Since you seem like another RDF head I'm curious as to how I'd use RDF
to let a news aggregator [even an RDF-aware one] know that the
<dare:stylesheet /> child of the <entry /> element contains a text/css
stylesheet as content which should be used to style the content of the
<content /> element when displaying it in the embedded browser within
the aggregator. Also how does this same mechanism communicate to the
news aggregator that the <employee:level /> child element of the <author
/> should be used to sort entries when displaying them in the aggregated
view of all entries.

These are both examples I brought up when this was mentioned on the Atom
mailing list to which I didn't here any satisfactory answers as to how
RDF solves this problem in the specific case of XML vocabularies for
news syndication.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
Eat right, Exercise, Die anyway.