   RE: [xml-dev] thinking about "namespace pedantry"

Title: Message
 > in summary, the "namespaces in xml" recommendation's specifications with regard to "names
which are not in any namespace" are unnecessarily and unreasonably paradoxical.

Absolutely. James Clark got round this quite neatly in XPath 1.0, I think, by referring to the "thing that is not a namespace" as "the null namespace". We need a name for it, and we can use that phrase without having to agree on whether the thing is or is not a namespace.

Michael Kay