   RE: [xml-dev] Are we ready for the namespace ID registry, yet? (was: Rel

> The complexity created by namespace inheritance oozes out of every
> paragraph.

<soapbox>
The technical complexities of namespaces would virtually go away if
identifiers were nothing more than short string prefixes attached to each
and every qualified name (i.e., eliminate namespace scopes), where such
identifiers are unique, single-purposed, and registered with a central
naming authority.
</soapbox>

While the proposal trades technical complexity for political complexity (and
costs some in XML's vaunted readability), the political issues are more
tractable, IMO.

Anyhow, I don't wish to fire up this permathread again; it's just that the
same namespace complaints manifest themselves over and over again on this
list. At least with a registry we'd have something different to kvetch
about.