   RE: [xml-dev] Are we ready for the namespace ID registry, yet? (w as: Re

> I need to be able to construct prefixes on the fly
> and send them out into the wild where I know they'll mean the right
> thing.

If you need to construct *identifiers* on the fly (which is conceivable,
admittedly), one possible solution is to have some way of syntactically
designating "unvouched" identifiers:

<uv_myns:baz/>

where "uv_" is magic that means "this namespace identifier is not
registered, and therefore may not be unique".

I think it brings up a good point, though: could you get by with a registry
of *very* short strings that designate not namespaces, but he the authority
to create namespace identifiers starting with the very short string.  That
reduces the number of registry entries that need to be maintained.  It does
perhaps add to readability problems, though.