   RE: [xml-dev] Postel's Law Has No Exceptions

None. All I wanted to say is that draconian error checking is very good, and
that it should be used as frequently as possible.

Just recently we had a very weird discussion on the WebDAV mailing list
about a MUST-level requirement for servers where it was suggested that
clients SHOULD handle the case gracefully where the server breaks that
requirement . That's exactly how not to apply Postel's law.

> Are you suggesting that the smaller vendors would have been *better* to
> be draconian?  At first glance, this seems like an issue of "the big guy
> creates defacto standards" rather than something directly related to
> Postel's law.  What am I missing?

Possibly nothing. My impression is that The Robustness Principle is
frequently used as excuse to defend broken implementations. The robustness
principle is *not* about accepting requests that are clearly
malformed/broken/incomplete/whatever -- it is about expecting malformed
requests to come in and behave sanely in that case.

Julian