   Re: [xml-dev] InkML

Also reference the Open GIS Consortium [1].

"OGC is an international industry consortium of 258 companies,
government agencies and universities participating in a consensus
process to develop publicly available geoprocessing specifications."

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

[1] http://www.opengis.org

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> I'm talking about reuse of productions, in this
> case, coordinate systems.  You're talking about a
> style of markup.  One can use InkML as in the
> draft and still be XML.  You're quibbling about
> the detail of the markup (the depth of naming,
> thus, extractable categories).  At that point,
> our concerns converge.  For example:
>
> I'd like to see coordinate schemas because GIS
> is the Swiss Army knife of information.  If you
> can map it, you can predict it more reliably.
> If you can integrate your maps to your other
> models, you have a very nice means to simulate.
> Simulation is the bigger toolkit.
>
> GIS is, in a depressed market, is predicted to
> grow 8% this year.  That's a healthy ecology
> to be trading with.   Shared productions helps
> spread the wealth.
>
> http://yahoo.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2003/tc20030819_8703_tc1
> 26.htm
>
> len
>
> From: Simon St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]
>
> clbullar@ingr.com (Bullard, Claude L (Len)) writes:
> >Still, it shouldn't be that hard to steal
> >elements and attributes from other languages
> >that use the same types of content.  XML
> >is there to make it easy to steal, and
> >the consortia RF-policies are there to make
> >it legal. Crikey, the SGMLers did it with
> >complete abandon.  They even wrote standards
> >based on it (GML begat 28001 and HTML; 28001
> >begat the Canadian 28001 and the European
> >modular DTDs).  Why shouldn't XML?  Isn't
> >that what namespaces do?
>
> A long time ago I thought we were discussing the value or lack thereof
> of lists of numbers and letters like:
>
> 1125 18432'23'43"7"-8 3-5+7  -3+6+2+6 8+3+6:T;+2+4:*T;+3+6+3-6:FF;
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about.
>
> My point is that not using XML when you claim to be creating XML has
> real costs that demand examination of whether using XML in the first
> place is reasonable.  InkML appears to my eye to flunk this test with
> flying colors.

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano