   RE: [xml-dev] Overlapping namespaces (was: Are we ready ...)

> <xhtml:my:body>

This looks familiar to the 'CONCUR' (Concurrent DTDs) feature in SGML (see
SGML production for start-tag).

<quote
source="http://www2.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/mitarbeiter/holger/lehre/OSW
S0001/breunig/os0001_breunig.html#AEN129">

	<!DOCTYPE Article SYSTEM "article.dtd">
	<(Article)Article><(HTML)HTML><(HTML)BODY>
	<(Article)Section><(Article)Title><(HTML)H1>Ein
Titel</(HTML)H1></(Article)Titel>
	<(Article)Para><(HTML)P>
	Blabla...
	</(HTML)P></(Article)Para>
	</(HTML)BODY></(HTML)HTML></(Article)Article>

</quote>

Note that if the Para element in the above sample would have been called 'P'
instead, one could use
<(Article, HTML) P> to indicate that the para belongs to both, the Article
DTD and the HTML DTD.

However, as even James Clark's parser does not implement this feature
doesn't seem to be in wide use (although I might be wrong here).

Although I believe that there might be a valid case here, there are some
serious implications to this construct - one that springs imediately to my
mind is the issue of content equality. I.e. if you using a construct like
the above you are saying that the content of the xhtml:body and my:body
elements are the same - at least in valid documents. If that's the case why
don't you just use the xhtml:body in your my-schema?

Axel

PS: I apologise if I just restated something that already was said in the
main thread, as I did not follow it closely.