   Re: [xml-dev] A standard approach to glueing together reusable XML frag

<Quote>
For us, then, it is unlikely that there ever would be a practical
application for reusable content on anything other than a fairly small
scale.
</Quote>

Yes - and I'll bet there would be a high value in reusable metadata -
e.g. schemas - for patent specifications.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Bruce.Cox@USPTO.GOV wrote:

> As a rule, there is little or no reusable content in patent specifications.
> Not surprising, since they are *supposed* to be unique.  There is reusable
> content in many of the publications produced by the USPTO that explain how
> to file a patent, etc., but there are only a few dozen of such documents as
> opposed to about 6.5 million published patent grants.  (Only about half of
> those are available as text, starting in the 1970's, and only those
> published since 1999-04-13 are available as SGML/XML.  If we convert the
> backfile to our current XML DTD, we expect to need no more than a few
> variations of the DTD to accommodate differences in publishing practice over
> the period 1790 to the present.)
>
> Next year, we will begin developing means to process patent applications and
> correspondence with applicants in XML.  The current application backlog is
> about 500,000, and with a minimum of say, four or five messages, the number
> of transactions is fairly large.  Here, there is reusable content (some few
> hundred "form paragraphs") that examiners pick from cascading menus,
> depending on the nature of the correspondence.  (This is not random letter
> writing, but highly ritualized gesture based on statute, rules, and past
> litigation.)  Once the correspondence is sent, however, it is static, and
> never changes.  The same is true for published grants and published
> applications, that is, they are static.
>
> As for searching, we use OpenText's BRS Search (does not support XML at
> present).
>
> For us, then, it is unlikely that there ever would be a practical
> application for reusable content on anything other than a fairly small
> scale.
>
> Bruce B. Cox
> SA4XMLT
> USPTO/OCIO/AETS
> 703-306-2606

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano