   Re: [xml-dev] Billions and billions?

--- Chiusano Joseph <chiusano_joseph@bah.com> wrote:

http://www.nwfusion.com/research/reports/IDC27758.html
> <Quote>
> I am not sure if it is publicly available
> information or not.
> </Quote>
>
> Only if you have $1500 to spend on it.

At > $200 / page!!!  It had better contain the wisdom
of the sages.

<rant>Probably not likely.  The eWeek gossip columnist
had a bit on the methodology of another well known
research firm
"[the analyst] who admitted his research methods
involved calling some [xxx] customers and asking how
they liked their IDSes, remained unconvinced." </rant>

That being as it may, I guess the "penetration" metric
you need depends on what you're selling.   If it is
developer tools, I guess you care about the percentage
of developers who are directly exposed to XML; if it
is network infrastructure, you care more about the
actual volume of data on the network.

The only hard numbers I've seen about the actual
penetration of XML is in references to the percentage
of enterprise network traffic that is in XML format.
I don't have the references to the $$$ research
reports themselves, but I've seen figures attributed
to Gartner that this figure was about 2% in 2002 but
is expected to rise to 60% in 2004; and figures
attributed to Zapthink [maybe the source is the full
report described at
http://www.zapthink.com/reports/ZTR-DI101.html] that
the figure is 1.6% in 2002 projected to rise to 24% in
2006.