   RE: [xml-dev] XPath brain teaser

<snip />

> Am I the only one who answered this: (a) True?
> This doesn't seem intuitive to me. Comments?  /Roger

This is how XPath has always worked. From my article "Things To Know and
Avoid When Querying XML Documents with XPath" at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnexxml/html/xml06172002.asp

"Given the information above, we can go back to my original problem
query and see why it gave the unexpected results.

	//*[position() = 1]/@on-loan

is actually an abbreviation for

	/descendent-or-self::node()/child::*[position() = 1]/@on-loan

which selects every node in the document and retrieves the on-loan
attribute of the first child of each of the selected nodes. Judicious
use of parenthesis quickly fixes the problem and

	(//*)[position() = 1]/@on-loan

 which is short for

	(/descendent-or-self::node()/child::*)[position() = 1]/@on-loan

 is actually what I wanted.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE

Abbreviation: //*[1]
Full Query:  /descendent-or-self::node()/child::*[position()=1]
Query Results: Select the first child of every node in the document.

Abbreviation: (//*)[1]
Full Query: (/descendent-or-self::node()/child::*)[position()=1]
Query Results: Select the first node in the document.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
To succeed in politics, it is often necessary to rise above your

rights.