   Final CFP: XML Database Symposium (XSym03) @ VLDB 2003

Final Call for Participation:

Monday, 8 September 2003 (prior to VLDB 2003), Humboldt-University Berlin
(main building).

Invited Talk will be given by Professor Michael Franklin, University of
California at Berkeley:

"Query Processing and XML - A Foundation for Intelligent Networks"

Abstract:

Much has been said about the potential for XML to serve as the basis for
solutions to problems ranging from data and application integration to the
semantic web.  As a survivor of the Object-Oriented Database wars, I was
initially hesitant to jump on the XML research bandwagon. Over time,
however, I came to the realization that XML could very well be the answer
to a number of practical problems I had faced in developing systems for
data dissemination, stream processing, and adaptive data management.  In
this talk, I will expand on this theme, describing how XML, combined with
techniques developed for database query processing and data management can
be used to provide networked applications with greatly enhanced support
for interconnectivity, adaptivity, and perhaps, even improved efficiency.

Bio:

Michael Franklin is an Associate Professor of Computer Science at the
University of California, Berkeley where his research focuses on the
architecture and performance of distributed databases and information
systems. He spent several years developing database systems at Wang
Laboratories and MCC prior to receiving his Ph.D. from the University of
Wisconsin, Madison in 1993. He served as Program Chair for the 2002 ACM
SIGMOD Conference and is a member of the editorial boards of the ACM
Transactions on Database Systems and the VLDB Journal, the SIGMOD Advisory
Board, and the Board of Trustees of the VLDB Endowment.  He is also
currently an Executive-in-Residence at the Mayfield Fund, a venture
capital firm in Menlo Park, CA.

The goal of the new XML database symposium is to provide a high-quality
platform for presentation and discussion of new research results and
system developments in the field.

In addition to the keynote by Mike Franklin, 18 contributions selected
from 65 submissions will be presented within the following sessions:

  - XML-Relational DBMS
  - XML Query Processing
  - Systems and Tools
  - XML Access Structures
  - Stream Processing and Updates
  - Design Issues

The fee for the symposium is 150 Euros and includes the LNCS proceedings
(LNCS no. 2824), attendance to all sessions, coffee breaks and the
symposium dinner.

The symposium takes place at the VLDB 2003 venue, in the main building of
Humboldt University, Central Berlin.

Further information on XSym03 can be found at:
http://www.lirmm.fr/~bella/XSym/