   Re: [xml-dev] xml taxonomy

Laurent:

> <snip>
> Disclaimer: The following is my own terminology that helps me sort out the
> world.  I'm not trying to impose it on anyone, just sharing it for what
its
> worth.
> </snip>
>
> It's nice to know about your own terminology. However, in order to be
> useful, a terminology should be widely shared by a community. I'm really
not
> sure this is the case for yours. Anyhow, my own terminology is quite
> different. See below for a few comments.
>
> <snip>
> By "atomic" or "electronic" document [...]
> </snip>
> <comment>
> The usual meaning for "atomic" applies to things, entities, objects,
> properties or whatever that you cannot, or do not want to, break into
> pieces. Anything to do with "electronic"? This reminds me: There are two
> kinds of cars: Japan-made cars (my brother-in-law got tons of engine
> problems with a Toyota), and cars parked down Canyon Street (that's where
my
> sweetheart's living) that are not red (I hate that guy's red car).
> </comment>

Allow me to be more precise.

I am *not* trying to say:

atomic = electronic

I am trying to say:

atomic document = electronic document

things | entities | objects (that you cannot or do not want to break into
peices) = x

x = atomic document

x = electronic document

Further, if

xml document + stylesheet = y

and

y = one electronic file

then

y = atomic document

and

y = electronic document

But, if

a = electronic file[1] (an xml document)

and

b = electronic file[2] (a stylesheet)

then (by my definition)

a + b != atomic document

a + b != electronic document

Also, in my view:

electronic document = MS Word | PDF | Word Perfect

atomic document = MS Word | PDF | Word Perfect

> <snip>
> Generally, a "message" is a machine-to-machine data transfer (e.g., from
one
> database to another database).
> </snip>
> <comment>
> A message is not the same thing as a transfer. If only for one reason,
it's
> because messages are just the stuff that's transferred. Incidentally,
> databases do not transfer anything. DBMSs do.
> </comment>

Yes, I agree, a message is not a transfer.  A message is the thing | object
| xml document that is transfered.  Often, messages are exchanged based on a
protocol.  See below.

> <snip>
> A "protocol" is a series of messages that follow one of many
> request/response patterns.
> </snip>
> <comment>
> Protocols are not made of messages. They are rules specifying which
messages
> are well-formed, and which exchanges are allowed.
> </comment>

From dictionary.com . . . Protocol: Computer Science. A standard procedure
for regulating data transmission between computers.

In the context of the email I sent to the list, protocols are made of
messages (xml documents), plus rules that define the order, timing, and
meaning of the how the messages are exchanged.  I think this is consistent
with common understanding.

Hope this helps.

Todd