   RE: [xml-dev] XML and the Relational Model [long]

> Jeff, this seems an orthogonal concern to what was being responded to?

Well, it is kind of a long thread. Here's one comment from it:

TPassin>
> * When is it better to store data in an XML format than in a relational >
> format - no fuzzy generalities, but a real discussion, please!

What I'm saying is that there is no "relational format", so to speak. There
are storage formats optimized for general relational operations, but that
doesn't mean that other storage formats cannot support them.

> The issue (at that point) had little to do with support of relational
> operations.  Rather, the question was (or seemed to be), what was the
> equivalent of some relational concepts in the XML world???

Alright. I'll send you a document I wrote off-list. Let me know if it
addresses the topic. It's too long to share here.