   Re: [xml-dev] XML and the Relational Model [long]

[Mike Champion]
> But the more updates of existing data,
> especially by concurrent applications, the more the
> RDBMS approach is likely to be better or even
> necessary.  XML's lack of a coherent referential
> integrity story can bite hard in such situations.

No question about it.  But let's look ahead a few years, and say that xquery
now can do updates, etc, and one can do xquery updates over a set of
documents( as you can already do for queries) or over data in some database
(I won't say what kind) without really caring whether the data were in
documents or the database,  with some kind of integrity constraints.

IOW, maybe we won't always be so limited to read-only situations as today.
In that world, what would be the differentiators between implementing a data
model in a relational vs an xml manner?  Or will the two converge until
there is little discernable difference?

Cheers,

Tom P