   Re: [xml-dev] Question about UTF-8

Rob McDougall wrote:

> You don't need to count on never seeing non-European characters in the data,
> you just won't be able to see them as glyphs in an ISO 8859-1 encoding and
> they will take up a lot more space if they do appear.  You should feel
> comfortable that you won't see many non-European characters in your data
> before choosing ISO 8859-1 as your encoding.

That's fair enough, I mostly live in 8859-1 myself.  The only really
potentially big problem is if you have a lot of incoming material that
you don't control, you need to have some sort of protocol in place to
detect when it's not in 8889-1.  XML makes this reliable, but there are
guessing tools that don't do too badly. -Tim