   RE: [xml-dev] Linking xml files together

>The actual result would be that the id node is replaced with the sequence
>node. I could do this by means of XSLT, but I wonder if there is no other
>way to reach this. Can I construct my xml that way that I do not need to
>implement the functionality in my code, but instead my XML Parser knows it
>has to replace that piece of xml file. I already thought about entities but
>XML schema does not seem to support entities.

You've really hit on the two XML-based ways to do it: an XSLT stylesheet or
entities. The only way an XML parser can know that it should replace thing A
with thing B is if thing A is an entity reference and thing B is the value
of the entity. That's what entities are for, and that's about the limit of
an XML parser's transformation responsibilities (outside of infoset
augmentation, which is not what you're looking for). Of course,
"transformation" is the "T" in "XSLT," so you have a lot more possibilities
there.

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii