   file extensions best practice

All,

I'm hoping to peruse some of your experience on this one. I'm
currently evaluating the pros and cons of having product-specific file
extensions instead of .xml. The pros seem obvious:

- Distinguish the different files (our product has 3 or 4 file types)
at a glance
- The standard GUI file dialogs can filter without doing anything
intelligent like parsing the headers of the file

The cons (?):

- The files are not recognisable as XML files anymore and the standard
XML editors won't list them
- Web servers won't generate the correct headers unless reconfigured
- The space for 3 digit file prefixes is small, and ours would look
like .x?? which make sthe space even smaller

Is there anything I'm missing? What are people's opinions on this?

Christian