   Re: [xml-dev] file extensions best practice

We had a similar delima with our text-to-xml translator xmlLinguist, the map
files configured in our GUI are saved in XML and what should we name the
extension. We ended up tossing the notion of using *.xml since A) we wanted
to associate the file extension with our app (so a dbl-click would open the
app) without removing the user's favorite XML editor and B) we didn't really
want our users messing with the file outside of the application. Had we
named it *.xml they probably would have.

In choosing the name itself, we decided *not* to use any "x" in the name,
since there's way too many out there, and again, we didn't want our file
association taken by another app. We used *.ltm (xmlLinguist Map Editor) and
haven't looked back since.

The only last thing I can say is why limit yourself to 3 character
extensions? In antoher app I worked on, we had *.lang, *.stat, *.skill etc.

Bryce K. Nielsen
SysOnyx Inc. (www.sysonyx.com)
Makers of xmlLinguist, the Text-to-XML Translator
(http://www.xmllinguist.com)