   RE: [xml-dev] Re: RE : [xml-dev] Text or tags choice with XSD

Actually I was wrong. I've never thought about solving the problem using xsi:type before. Using xsi:type makes it possible, schema and instances follow

<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
  elementFormDefault="qualified" targetNamespace="urn:foo" xmlns:foo="urn:foo">

   <xs:element name="time" type="foo:abstractType" />

   <xs:complexType name="abstractType" abstract="true" mixed="true">
    <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element name="placeholder" minOccurs="0" />
    </xs:sequence>
   </xs:complexType>

   <xs:complexType name="simpleTime" mixed="true">
    <xs:complexContent>
     <xs:restriction base="foo:abstractType">
      <xs:sequence>
       <xs:element name="placeholder" maxOccurs="0" />
      </xs:sequence>
     </xs:restriction>
    </xs:complexContent>
   </xs:complexType>

    <xs:complexType name="removeMixed" mixed="false" abstract="true">
    <xs:complexContent>
     <xs:restriction base="foo:simpleTime" />
    </xs:complexContent>
   </xs:complexType>

   <xs:complexType name="complexTime">
    <xs:complexContent>
     <xs:extension base="foo:removeMixed">
      <xs:sequence>
       <xs:element name="hour" type="xs:int" />
       <xs:element name="min" type="xs:int" />
      </xs:sequence>
     </xs:extension>
    </xs:complexContent>
   </xs:complexType>

</xs:schema>

<time xmlns="urn:foo" xmlns:foo="urn:foo"

<time xmlns="urn:foo" xmlns:foo="urn:foo"
      xsi:type="foo:simpleTime">14:59</time>