   RE: [xml-dev] Differance between a TextNode and An AtomicValue

Title: Message

Hello I a´m doing my master's thesis on Upadting XML.

I have confusion between a TextNode and an AtomicValue as it is specified in  http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/

It's a bit like the difference between an Integer and an int in Java, though the analogy isn't perfect.

A text node has identity, and it has a parent; atomic values such as strings do not.

If a function takes a text node as a parameter, the function can do things like "count how many text nodes in the same tree as this one have the same value as this text node."  If it takes a string as a parameter, you can't do that, because a string doesn't belong to a tree; and anyway, it's not meaningful to discuss whether "A" and "A" are the same string, because strings don't have identity.

Michael Kay