   Re: [xml-dev] XSD question

"Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com> writes:

>> First, is there any mailing list dedicated to just W3C schema
>> questions? I may have a few in the near future and don't want
>> to clutter up xml-dev.
>
> xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Subscribe by email to xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org

<snip/>

>> Let's say I declare element alpha to have a sequence of one
>> or more xs:any children with processContents="lax". Then I
>> declare element beta to have a specific content model. I can
>> put beta elements and anything else as children of alpha, and
>> if any of those beta elements violate the declared content
>> model, a schema-validating parser will flag it as an error.
>> However, if a beta element that violates the declared content
>> model is a *grandchild* of alpha instead of being a direct
>> child, the schema-validating parser isn't supposed to flag it.
>>
>> Do I understand this correctly?
>
> Yes.

Um, beg to differ.  Lax processing is recursive, so the non-beta
children of alpha will be laxly validated as well, unto the n-th
generation.

The relevant quote from the REC is:

  "[A]n element information item's schema validity may be laxly
  assessed if [it was accepted by a 'lax' wildcard and no top-level
  declaration for it was found] by validating with respect to the
  ur-type definition"

ht
                      Half-time member of W3C Team