   Re: [xml-dev] XSD question

"DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO)" <bob.ducharme@lexisnexis.com> writes:

>>Subscribe by email to xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org
>
> Well, as long as we've got the thread going here...
>
>>Lax processing is recursive, so the non-beta
>>children of alpha will be laxly validated as well, unto the n-th
>>generation.
>
> Then why was the word "children" used in the quoted passage ("...or any
> items among its [children]")instead of "descendants"?

That phrase is coming out in an agreed erratum (but it's not being
replaced with descendants, so the point still stands).

> My experience seems to bear out what Dare says. Here's my schema:
> In the absence of the kinds of declarations described by Jeni for other
> potential parents of beta, descendants of the processContents="lax"
> element's children seem to be processed as if those children had a
> processContents value of "skip". Otherwise, the x element in the second beta
> element would have triggered an error, right?

XSV flags errors for both the child and the grandchild.

> My basic goal is this: to write a schema that accepts everything in a
> well-formed document except those elements specifically declared in that
> schema, wherever they may turn up in the document. It's not looking
> encouraging in XSD, although I have managed it in RNG.

I think your schema is precisely the way the W3C XML Schema REC
intended for this to be achieved -- it appears the REC needs
clarification in this area, as evidently Xerces C++ and XSV disagree.

I'd be interested to hear from other implementors wrt this example.

ht
                      Half-time member of W3C Team